Sunday, December 8, 2019

Introductions

Welcome readers,

I've created this website in hopes that you all can follow along my research journey. First, I wanted to point you to the few pages already existing; a bio which gives a few details about me, and 'the journey thus far' which I think of as a narrative CV (an academic resume).

Why create this blog?

Well, my hope to share with you all what it is like to be in the tropics to do research, through narrative storytelling. And through these stories, I  hope to express to you all why I've fallen so head over heels in love with this ecosystem and all the inhabitants and teach all who will listen about the threats to these ecosystems, along with what is being done to protect them!

Now let's get started with what I am doing.

For my thesis research, I am studying two primate species, the Ecuadorian Mantled Howler and the Ecuadorian White-fronted Capuchin (one of the most threatened primates in the world!).

A few Ecuadorian Mantled Howlers - notice the juvenile!
Primates can be difficult to study because they spend most of their days up in the canopy. I could almost break my neck and observe them through binoculars day in and out, but instead, I'll be going up to their level. Using tree climbing gear, I'll be able to get high up in the trees and place trail cameras and acoustic devices to passively monitor their presence.

A view from up above
Trail cameras have a motion sensor, so when some unsuspecting animal walks past, it snaps a picture. Using cameras doesn't bother the animal, so I'll get a lot of cool information about these animals without bothering them/influencing their behavior. Similarly, the acoustic devices record the soundscape of the forest for a few minutes every hour. I'll go back through the audio files and be able to pick up the presence of the primates that weren't on camera before. Trust me when I say, those primates like to make their presence known!

Trail camera mounted on a tree. Photo courtesy of Shawn McCracken

I'll be conducting this research at Jama Coaque Reserve. This reserve is run by the Third Millennium Alliance. This organization has a holistic approach to conservation that I hugely admire. They focus their attention on incorporating the local community (Camarones) into their work through employment and education. You can read more about the organization I'm collaborating with here.

Stay tuned for more updates and details on the project!

1 comment:

  1. such important & critical to the planet research you are conducting!
    We are extremely proud!!!

    ReplyDelete