Monday, December 9, 2019

Bienvenidos a Ecuador

Dear readers,

About a week has passed since I've arrived back in Ecuador. In that time, I've picked up many new skills. At first, I was hesitant to post about the work that's been done over the past week since it isn't very exciting, but it's a part of the research that every researcher does: the field prep.

Working outside means the weather is a huge factor with any equipment you use. In the tropics, moisture is one of the biggest factors for concern. For the project, we'll be placing both motion-sensitive cameras and audio recorders in the camera for months at a time, so it's critical that the gear is able to withstand extreme weather conditions.

The cameras come in weatherproof cases, the acoustic devices, not so much.

Over the past week, Becca (my field technician) and I have learned how to desolder, solder, use a Dremel tool and heat gun, and perfect drilling skills. To be honest, power tools have always made me incredibly nervous,  so kudos to Shawn McCracken for teaching in a way that I didn't feel terrified of the tools in hand.



On top of that, we build the mounts that will hold the camera and recorder up in the tree.

Seeing it all laid out has been very rewarding and has helped build up the anticipation of what's to come.



As I'm writing this, we are en route to Jama-Coaque to begin the field season. I find myself in awe of the surrounding vegetation as we drive through the Andes mountains and down to the coast.

Next time I update, I'll have tales of canopy adventures to share, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment